For travel lovers, being told to stay home and cancel any upcoming travel is definitely a hard pill to swallow. Taking away a traveler’s ability to explore is like cutting off a runner’s legs. The good news is that the situation is only temporary. We will be able to travel again, hopefully soon if we all listen to the advice given by our local health authorities.
Being stuck at home may limit your physical means of travel, but there are still other ways that you can travel from home! Many museums and attractions around the world offer virtual tours online so you can explore them from the comfort of your own home. In the past, these services were likely used by people who couldn’t visit the sites in person for what ever the reason may be. Today during these times of self-isolation and social distancing, we can all take advantage of these new methods of travel.
We have provided a list below of some popular sites and attractions that you can visit online without leaving home:
- Machu Picchu, Cusco, Peru – Incan ruins set high up in the Andes Mountains of Peru. Built in the 15th century however, the original use is unknown.
- Palace of Versailles, Versailles, France – Royal residence of France from 1682 until the beginning of the French Revolution in 1789.
- Taj Mahal, Agra, India – Built from 1631 to 1648 and constructed of white marble, considered a jewel of Muslim art. Constructed by order of Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his favourite wife.
- Stonehenge, Wiltshire, England – Considered by some as the most famous prehistoric monument in the world. Constructed in stages with the first monument approximately 5,000 years ago and the stone circle approximately 2500 BC.
- Great Barrier Reef, Queensland, Australia – The world’s largest coral reef system and stretches more than 2,300 kilometers. Located in the Coral Sea off the coast of Queensland, Australia.
There are so many places you can visit with the help of Google Street View. You could spend all day visiting those bucket list destinations from your favourite comfy chair in the living room. This period of time where we all must stay home is a great opportunity to learn something new, get some exercise by working out at home or going for a walk, trying a new recipe, starting that book you always wanted to read, and more. Take advantage of this time and spend it being productive. You will thank yourself later we promise.
When things return to normal and we are able to travel again, Target Tours will be ready to help you choose your perfect destination. We know we will be so excited to get out and explore again and we hope you will be ready to join us!